October 5, 2009

Snip, Snip

A few weeks ago, I took Alec to get his hair cut. Carter watched in awe as Alec climbed into the chair, put on the cape and proceeded to get a hair cut. Rubbing the hair on his own head while giving me a sweet smile, Carter was asking me if he could also get his hair cut. My answer was.... NO! I'm not ready to cut your hair! I've been here before and I know once it's cut, you will look like a little boy instead of my baby. So...the answer is NO! NOTTA! NOPE!
Fast forward a couple weeks after that and we found ourselves in Logan, UT. We had just been to Katie's baptism and were sitting on the deck soaking in the lovely day. Amy's sister-in-law, Maryanne, took out her hair cutting tools and started giving the boys a trim. The thought leaped into my mind...I should have her cut Carter's hair....and then I pushed it out really fast. But it came back again, and again, and again :) It was time to cut my baby boy's hair.
When Carter was born, the Dr. announced, "You have a blond". My response, "Yeah, right."
But we did! Carter's hair has always reminded me of a little baby chick right after it has hatched. I've loved running my fingers through his little curls while I've rocked him to sleep.
I'll probably let it get this long again before we go for cut #2...can you blame me?


Carter sat and let her snip away...so mellow.....no tears......so Carter.
Thanks to Grandpa and Dad, I dare say it was the most photographed hair cut ever. A big THANKS to Maryanne....I'm glad it was you!!! How did mom fare, you ask? I was proud of myself....no tears, either. The fact I was surrounded by about 20 people made if very easy to not go into the ugly cry....I waited until I typed this post :)
So....there he is...my little boy. From the look on his sweet little face, I can just hear his thoughts right now....Geez mom, what's the big deal? My answer....YOU!

7 comments:

wallymom said...

I think he still looks so cute. A crowd does cut down on the tear issue. It is so hard to watch your baby grow-up. They of course don't realize it and are in such a hurry to be big. Did you go anywhere for IEA?

Lost Woman said...

He looks fabulous!!

Way to be strong and let it go.
You got me teary reading it, just knowing it was such a big thing for you.

That strawberry hair looks like his grandpa V as a kid. You probably have some blonds on your side too.

jo said...

No blonds on my side of the family, that I'm aware of. Mom and Dad are both brown haired...all my siblings are brown....both set of my grandparents are brown....all my uncles and aunts are brown...that's why I was like "Yeah, right" when the Dr. said I had a blond.....It's all is grandpa coming through!

jo said...

We didn't do anything spectacular for IEA....just went to the cabin.

michandler said...

I was going to say he has his Grandpa Vs hair color too. It looks very much the same. That pesky reddish hair has a habit of coming through even though it is supposed to be a recessive gene. An adorable strawberry blonde to say the least. It's amazing what a difference a haircut will make. It IS a sad day when your little boy isn't a baby any more but a real boy. Still complete handsome though!

The Ball Babies said...

Oh! I love it! I still get a little teary eyed when Payton's hair gets long and lustreous and then we have to cut it. :( Oh, well, it will grow back! Carter is a cutie with that hair!

crazy lady said...

What a handsome lad! The cutting of the hair is definitely one of those defining moments. Glad you shared!