October 11, 2009

Open Sesame

This week, I decided it was officially time for shorts to be put away and the long pants, under shirts and socks to be brought out and organized for winter. When it was time to go through and organize clothes for Carter, I pulled out a container of Alec's old clothes to see what would work for him. I opened the lid and this was waiting for me on the very top: "OH!", I exclaimed, "It's the Sesame Street shirt!"
We acquired the shirt when we took Alec to Sesame Street Live. I debated whether to even get the shirt for him because it was more than what I'd ever pay for just a t-shirt, but I went ahead. I have very vivid and happy memories of Alec jumping up and down while singing with the Sesame Street gang in that shirt; just like a rock concert for a 2 1/2 year old......AWESOME!
Recently, Carter has started an obsession with Elmo... or as Carter would say "Momo". Well, he went CRAZY when I held up the shirt and wanted to put it on immediately. Naturally, I put it on him. Both Alec and Emily wore the shirt and so why shouldn't Carter? He should. As I continued going through clothes, I started thinking about how that shirt had shared so many days with us and I wondered if I had caught any of them on camera.
Later on in the week, I went through my picture files and discovered I had caught some moments of Alec and Emily in the Sesame Shirt. What I hadn't bargained for, however, is that I found the Sesame shirt had spent some extraordinary days with us....... along with the ordinary. Here is what I found........


It was, indeed, the shirt Alec wore the day we
brought Emily home from the hospital.

Alec 2 1/2 years old! What a cutie!

We've had a few melt downs in the shirt :)

Took some naps...ZZZZZZZ

Wore it while we were just hang'in out...
Had some bad hair days with it.....

It came to Wildhorse and played in the water......

and watched us squish our toes in the mud....AHHHHHH.



And where did the shirt find itself today?
Eating a plum with Carter
I suppose when it's time for me to get rid of all my little kid clothes, it won't be the very cute Gymboree outfit with coordinating socks and hair accessories in which I won't be able to part. It won't even be the little summer outfit I made for Emily with my own two hands.
Nope.
It'll be that darn Sesame Street shirt that will end up next to my mother's embroidered dish towels in my cedar chest.....
I just know it ;)

6 comments:

Lost Woman said...

That is one tough shirt! It doesn't even look that faded.

I love seeing the pictures of the kids from when they were smaller. It is amazing how much they change.

Turns out that big T-shirt investment may prove worth it. I have a hard time envisioning it on some sort of "mothers quilt" that you might use i your old age though.

jo said...

Yeah.... I don't really see it used on a quilt, either :)

crazy lady said...

That's fantastic! I saved several outfits of each of my children and have given them to them for their own little ones. I got pretty teary eyed when Kelsey posted pics of the girls in a little outfit she had worn.
I would say you HAVE gotten your money's worth, AND your memory's worth too!

The Ball Babies said...

That is the sweetest post ever. I love Sesame Street and wish my mom would have bought me a cute shirt like that! You're such a nice mom to take your kids to a rock concert and buy him/her a memento shirt...Love.It.

michandler said...

Hand me downs are awesome! I can't believe how grown up Carter is looking. Amazing how quickly they change as is evident in your post. Lots of fun memories in that shirt though! We have a green one that says Summer Camp with Oma & Opa (only in german) that all 3 boys have worn. Cooper is too big for it but it's not getting thrown out!

Ashley said...

I have to say I have lots of memories with your kids in that shirt as well. I haven't looked at your blog, well since before school started it was nice to see new pictures and get caught up I feel like I am so out of things any more! I haven't blogged since May. AHHHH! maybe soon! LOVE YOU GUYS!