August 12, 2009

Rocky Mountain High... Adventure

This year I once again took off for the mountains with a backpack to participate in a High Adventure hike. This year's hike was somewhat harder than last year, with more elevation changes and steeper, higher climbs. We went to the White Clouds southeast of Stanley. The weather was also rougher, record lows in the region for the last day found us waking up to a couple inches of snow on Friday. Fortunately the weather cleared and was decent for most of the 8 mile hike out that day, with more snow again falling only for about the last half hour. Anyhow, here are a few pictures. I took a disposable camera with me so the images aren't high quality, and I don't have the photography skill of some in the family, but I got some ok shots. Some of the ones I am most interested to see (the snow pics) will have to come later, I had 2 cameras but only used about half the film in the 2nd one and don't want to develop it until I use more film.


Ants Basin














One of the Born Lakes





















A couple pics of the crazy steep climb out of Ants Basin. There was no
trail over this pass, which topped out at about 10,300 ft. It is so steep
that there were a couple times I was literally crawling up on hands and
feet without really bending over.






















View from the top of the climb down into Four Lakes Basin.
















The climb down the other side was about as bad as the climb up,
the only thing that made is easier was that it was shorter.





















A couple pics from the next days big climb, another summit
that was over 10,000 ft. At least there was a trail this time.




























GPS profile of the 3 day hike.

6 comments:

Lost Woman said...

Holy aching back and feet!! That looks like amazing scenery, but OY the elevation change!
How many boys go?

You are surely related to your dad in the climbing department.
Please post some of the snow pictures. I was in the Sawtooths that week during a horrible hailstorm, you must have been hanging on for life!

Aaron said...

We had 10 boys and 4 leaders go. On Thurs. evening we had 3 separate hail storms come through, each with hail stones about the size of a nickel.

crazy lady said...

Who says you don't have talent in the picture taking department?! Those are some great shots! And my hats off to you and those boys! Particularly as I can no longer do the high elevations, let alone scrabbling with hand holds on rocky faces. Looks like an amazing trip. Memories those boys will have all their lives. (I know as I often hear memories from Chuck from hikes he did during just that time of his life :0) Good for you!

michandler said...

Wow! that's pretty much all I can say. Well okay. Amazing too!

crazy lady said...

Aaron I have a lot more pictures of the Cramer lakes area if you're interested. Those on my blog have been reduced to 72dpi - so they're not the greatest. I'd be happy to send you a disk with images. I tend to get carried away when there are waterfall involved.

wallymom said...

Holy Cow. You deserve extra blessings just for attempting that.