********WARNING*********
This post contains pictures of things that are considered creepy and crawly.
Viewer discretion is advised.
Look at this cool slug we found at the St. George temple grounds on our way back from San Diego! Who is the brave soul holding that slug, you may ask?
Miss Emily Jo Vaden
Emily loves bugs! She is always finding these little creatures!
So.......what's a girl to do when she finds a REALLY cool catepillar while
in the Uintah Mountains?
Make it a home in a kleenex box with the help of Aunt Becky and bring it back to Grandma's house. Then when she discovers it has spun a cocoon, she should then put it by her bed and check on it every day and night in the hopes it will turn into the most beautiful butterfly she has ever seen.
When she returns to her home in Boise with her cocoon, her mom should help her make a pretty butterfly net so when it hatches, she can look at it and it won't get away.
Then the little girl heard about "Bug Day" at the Idaho Botanical Gardens and suggests they take the cocoon to the experts to find out what kind of butterfly it will be.
So...that is what she does. She takes her cocoon, net and all, to the experts.
According to the experts, the little girl has found.......
...... a sawfly!
A bit disappointed, the little girl decides to enjoy and take part in more activites at "Bug Day" with her family.....because she LUVZ BUGZ!
THE END
Emily has inspired all kinds of "bugginess" around here lately. We have found a lot of cool bugs just around our house.
We found a spider and her egg sac on the couch when we arrived at the cabin for Aaron's birthday!
At school, Emily found lots of "rolly polly" bugs at recess. Her and her little friends make homes for them, give them names....they are having lots of fun.
Hope this post didn't BUG you!!!
















2 comments:
I was not bugged in the least!
I love that she nurtured a sawfly!
Best of all this means Emily isn't a panicky girl. She can hold her own. Hurrah!
Crawly bugs have often been a feature in some of my research. I too am fascinated with their forms.
Miss Kelsey was the super committed and took classes in catching and mounting them for research.
Great pictures! (way to make up for lost posting time I might add)
(:
I love the photos! I'm not super fond of snails, but they have very nifty shells and when it comes to odd combinations of body parts they rank right up there with the platypus.
We have had LOTs of bugs and wildlife in and out of our house and for the most part I'm fine with it.
I do however draw the line at skunks in the house. I know. I'm a snob.
Post a Comment