May 8, 2012

Emily...The Smiling Ballerina

     It's Monday morning and we're walking to the bus.  Emily and I are chatting and I mention that it is picture night at ballet. 
   
 "I don't like to smile anymore", she says. 
"What !?!" I reply , "You have a cute smile!"
"No I don't.  It has holes in it."

"Emily....every 9 year old little girl has a toothless grin.  It's what makes you cute!  Besides.....it doesn't matter what our smile looks like...what matters is how that smile makes other people feel and you need to share that smile, okay!"

There was no reply.
I kissed her....told her I loved her and watched her get on the bus....off to face the world.


Later that night.........
It  was "picture week" at ballet class.  The girls come in full costume for pictures.  Emily's ballet studio is down by the river ( I know!  It seems everything we love is by the river....lol!) and so after class, we  made our way to the overflowing Boise River and took some of our own.

Presenting......
Emily the Ballerina


















Then....I snapped the last picture I took and the conversation we had earlier in the day came racing back into my mind.  She had been smiling the whole time and peace filled my heart.  Emily is a pretty little girl BUT I always hope she knows and understands it is soooo much more important to be pretty on the inside.  I hope she will always be kind and gracious and full of goodness.
I hope she will always share her smile because it  radiates all of those things. 

I've really enjoyed watching Emily this year in Ballet.
They actually know what they're doing now...lol! 
Running off and on the stage.....dancing in formation......it's AWESOME!
The big recital is this Saturday...Good Luck, Emmy!
Can't wait to see you shine ;)

6 comments:

Amy Wallace said...

I loved seeing that smile in all her pictures. Beautiful girl, inside and out

michandler said...

Oh how amazingly sweet are all those pictures!!! Emily is a totally cutie. I bet you had fun taking those photos. I hope she always stays sweet and beautiful inside just like she is on the outside!! Thanks for sharing that ballet moment.

My Angels said...

Those pictures are FABULOUS! She is Beautiful!! I love messing around and taking my own pictures, SOO FUN!!

Lost Woman said...

That aqua color is lovely for her... so much nicer than pink (in my biased color theory opinion)

It looks like you had a fun and inventive time by the river. You take some lovely photos my friend.

I was totally looking for this infamous "gap"... where?

My favorite photo is the one where she is pulling the funny face.

If she follows in your footsteps she will be beautiful inside and out.

crazy lady said...

Ah sweet Emily is so fortunate to have a wise mom. You're teaching her so well how to put things in perspective.

Lovely light on an adorable girl in those photos. She looks calm, happy, and like she's having fun. You got some nicely composed images. I especially like the ones that had a lot of perspective as it brings to mind the path from past to present to future. And she is on the brink of so many new things.
Ok. I'm rambling. Lovely post.
Thanks :o)

Ashley said...

I am a very lucky Aunt to have such an amzing niece who really is beautiful inside and out! We love you Emmy!You are a beautiful ballerina!