Some "last times" I don't remember. For instance...the very last time I got my Barbie's out and played with them. There had to be a last time. I don't remember it BUT there had to be one last time that I brought them out, played with them, put them back...and never brought them out again.
It was the night before my childrens' last day of school this year. Everyone was in bed and the house was silent. I was left with my thoughts. I was thinking about what I needed to do tomorrow...go to the last day of school assembly, run up to the Jr. High to take care of some stuff...yaddy, yaddy, yadda. Then I thought "Should I put the kids on the bus or just all go down to the school together in the morning for the assembly..hmmm" THEN it hit me like a brick wall. "OH, NO...if we all go down to the school together TOMORROW that means TODAY was the LAST TIME I watched Alec and Emily walk down to the bus stop together!" I have been watching them do that for the last 5 years. This is the only time they will do that together....by the time they are in Jr. High at the same time, Alec will have early morning seminary. Then, when they find themselves in High School together, Alec will be a Sr. and will be driving....not being caught dead on the bus. We will never come this away again. We are truly closing a chapter of our lives.
After having these thoughts I thought to myslef "There is NO WAY we're all going down to that school together in the morning....I have to see them walk down the street together just one more time....LOL!"
So I did.......
Their last walk......
Yup, I cried the whole time I watched them walk down the street...LOL!
Then I yelled at them,
"Turn around and let me take a picture of your faces!!!!"
"Turn around and let me take a picture of your faces!!!!"
This is what they did......
That is one "Last Time" I think I will remember....forever.

5 comments:
This whole business of our kids growing up totally sucks. I got choked up and had to hold back tears at the grocery store last week as I realized that in a couple of months I would be buying less food because there will be one less Ball baby in our house. Boo. I feel your pain and have experienced your tears, friend.
Always good to catch those memorable moments in our kids' lives! They grow up so fast!!!!
Great moment to catch. I too have waxed poetic about the end of eras. I get downright melancholy.
Luckily there are lots of amazing first times. That helps balance it all out.
(:
Man I swear you just love to make me cry. That was sooo cute.
Dang! That was a lovely, touching post. And yes, it made me cry.
What a couple of sweet children you have there. Bittersweet to capture that "last" time. Lovely that they are so comfortable to just throw their arms around each other like that.
Well done mom and dad for raising such good kids.
Post a Comment