
Summer has officially started. While finishing up dinner, we heard the familiar chiming music that means only one thing: Scary Larry! My children ran out the front door screaming "Scary Larry! Scary Larry!" By the time I got outside, they had flagged down the ice cream truck and were chatting with their summer friend: Scary Larry the ice cream man. We have been getting ice cream from Scary Larry ever since Alec could walk. It isn't summer until we've gotten ice cream from Scary Larry. He comes around once a week (looks like this summer it's Thursday)and I don't have the heart to not let my kids buy some ice cream from this dear man! Don't get him started talking....he'll talk your ear off. He has told me more bogus stories than I care to admit. He's half Apache Indian, has a photographic memory, and was married to a Hawaiin princess in his younger years. Don't ask how we get on these topics while buying ice cream because I don't know! I've wondered how he makes any money if he talks with everyone like he talks with us. Then, one time I was talking with him, I decided it isn't about the money with him. He truly enjoys driving around in that blue truck, talking with people and being with the kids. I was beginning to get a little worrried and sad he wasn't going to come around this summer due to the high gas prices. I was surprisingly very excited to see him myself when he arrived tonight! He REALLY is kind of scary! I'm not kidding. My mother will back me up on that one because she had the pleasure of meeting him tonight. He called her Mildred! All that aside, my kids love him and I love that they get to buy ice cream off an ice cream truck driven by someone they know as a friend. I'm sure they'll take the memories of Scary Larry with them the rest of their lives. We love Scary Larry...bless his heart! Summer has officially started.

Grandma's Treat Tonight!
4 comments:
Okay, that made me laugh out loud! You are so nice to let your kids get ice cream from the ice cream truck!! I tell my kids we can buy a whole box of ice cream with the price they charge--I'm mean! Make sure you are always outside with them or Scary Larry just might run off with your babies!!
Scary Larry definately is a blog in his own right. I think it's a fun tradition although I'm glad there isn't one here, because I'm to cheap.
lol. what a great summer tradition. does he actually go by scary larry or is that just what you call him? does he know you call him that. regardless great story and great memories being made.
He really is called Scary Larry. He knows he's crazy :) He loves when my kids say "HI, Scarry Larry"....HA!
Post a Comment