November 19, 2008

That sled is calling my name!

So....nothing out of the ordinary happening this week.....busy as usual! I was scrolling through my picures and saw one that reminded me of an experience I had a couple summers ago. I thought some of you might enjoy it, too! Here we go........

A couple summer's ago, we were vacationing with family in Park City, UT. We stayed at the Silver King Lodge/Hotel. When we walked into the room in which we would stay, the first thing I noticed was this sled above the fireplace.


I thought, "How fun! A sled above the fireplace goes along with the winter/skiing thing.....FUN!"

As our stay went on, it was as if the sled wanted me to come over and look at it...I'M NOT KIDDING! I refused. I was not going to give into the weird vibes I was getting from that sled. Throughout the next few days, a couple family members commented on the sled and what a fun decorating idea it was to hang a sled above the fireplace. There was something about this sled!!!

The last day we were there, I finally thought, "Sled.....FINE. I will come closer to you and see what the big deal is!" This is what I saw......(cue creepy background music)

YUP! You see it, too! The metal plaque on the sled read...VADEN'S SPORTING GOODS CO./ 14th & No. May Ave./ Oklahoma, City, OK.

Oh. My. Gosh. I started freaking out and my family wondered what was wrong with me! I told them how the sled and I had this weird vibe thing going on and I had finally gave in and went over to it and IT HAS MY LAST NAME ON IT! Get me out of here!!!

I never hear the name Vaden. Aaron was the first person I had met with that name. In fact, people have called me Amy Vaben, Amy Baden, Amy Vader....who can forget the forever reference to Darth VADEN....ha, ha... you are clever, haven't heard that one before :) So, when the sled had our last name on it I couldn't believe it! How strange that we would stay in this room.
I left a note with my information asking for the sled....I WANT IT and IT HAS MY NAME ON IT! It belongs with us for prosperity sake! It could be a link to some family history! I haven't heard back from the people who own the condo so I guess they think I'm a loon. All I have to say to them is, "I may be crazy.....but YOU have a CRAZY SLED that wants to come and live with me!"

8 comments:

Kristine said...

Oh that is too crazy!! Have you checked on E-bay, looked for a website doing a google search? I want it for you now too!! I love you new family pictures!

Lost Woman said...

The sled it out there likely still calling you! That is a crazy story, but one I totally identify with.

I have heard it all in the "Vaden" mispronunciation and jokes department. Darth Vaden being the most popular and annoying.
It is a much more common name in the southern US, but certainly not one you hear everyday. I've always liked that.
Good luck with the sled hunt... perhaps you two will meet up one day in a place unexpected?

ps.... I want to hear your quirks too! (beyond mystic mind melding with sleds)

Lost Woman said...

Oh yeah, I was going to mention I think the new family walking the bridge shot is great!

Erica said...

hey lady! LOVE your new family pics!

crazy lady said...

Wow! That's crazy! I remember calling a Vaden when I was in Seattle. The person who answered was a nice black man from the South who said his name came from a slave owner back in the civil war. We visited for a few minutes and that was that. Now I'm curious about that sled making company?...
Did Gordon take the new family pics? They're great!

michandler said...

I think most of the Vaden's that are around that I have encountered are actually African American. It definitely is NOT that common of a name. We've all gotten the Vader and Darth Vaden comments. It was espeically popular on my mission when I was paired with Siter Oldroyd or Old Droid!

wallymom said...

INteresting sled story. I hope it comes to live with you. I love your new family pics. Who did them for you?

Thomas 24 said...

Too funny - what a coincidence.