We planted our kitchen window garden over Memorial Day weekend and I am sooooo enjoying looking out at it and admiring the plants and birds.
Here's the before:
And the after:
I loved C.'s advice on adding some evergreen plants....so that became one of my number one goals. Let me tell you...there are some pretty funky ornamental plants out there! The guy at the nursery introduced me to the "Weeping Sequoia"...according to him, they are the up and coming in landscaping. WHATEVER. I just needed something that was going to stay green and not get very big. The Weeping Sequoia shouldn't get much bigger around....just taller. I really like it. The little birds like to land on its branches.
I don't remember what this one was called, but it it an evergreen, too. I hope to be able to make a little topiary out of it as it grows taller.
The man at the nursery also introduced me to "Star Jasmine". According to him, it is what they plant outside the casinos in Vegas to lure you in....ooolala! It really does smell SOOOOO good. Perfect for those fresh mornings when I open my kitchen window....mmmmmmmm. Perfect.
Did you notice my clematis? It is gorgeous this year! Too bad those gigantic purple flowers won't stay all summer long. Hopefully I'll have a second blooming.
We also planted a tickseed plant (which is supposed to attract butterflies), lillies, ivy and lots of petunias that haven't really taken off, yet.
This little yellow bird is SO bright and he's been around all spring....I'll miss him when he goes away!
All in all, I'm happy with how it turned out and am excited to have a little spot that is beautiful and gives me something to look forward to in the spring, summer and winter....Hmmmm....looks like I need to work on something for fall....maybe a fire bush?








2 comments:
That looks so amazing already!
You usually expect 2 to 3 years to get everything to look all full and nice, but it looks FAB now.
The small bluegreen evergreen is a dwarf blue spruce (one of my favorites) It will not likely grow too tall (maybe 3feet) and will stay in a sweet roundish ball which is a great complement to the tall skinny sequoia.
How fun.. Now you will have green and pretty year round!
Only one down side in all of this... no more stage for Mr. Carter. He WAS pretty awesome.
Wow! that looks pretty amazing. I have never seen the weeping sequoia- it all looks grand. nice job.
Post a Comment