About this time last year, Broadway's Beauty and the Beast came to Boise. A young man who grew up in our ward (I was his primary teacher!!!), Christopher Brand, was going to be in it! After having served a mission and graduating from BYU he went to NYC to pursue his dream! You have never heard anyone sing like Chris...he puts the microphone down and fills up the room with his unbelievable talent!
Read this.....
So, it didn't take much to convince me to get tickets ( I love going to things at the Morrison Center....I love musicals). I took my kids, too... They look up to Chris and I thought it would be fun for them to see him perform. It was a blast! A lot of people from the ward had gotten tickets, too. We were all seated fairly close together. Chris had his own cheering section ;) The show was beautiful, funny...just excellent!
While at the show, this was placed in my hand....
*GASP*
Oh, my!
WICKED was coming back to Boise!!!!!!!!!!!
Aaron and I had gone when it had come to Boise the first time.
I loved it! The story...the music...the sets...the costumes. It had it all!
I resolved I WOULD see it again.....someday.
Of course when I got home, I informed Aaron of this important news :)
He didn't really want to go see it again. BOO!
I mulled over it for weeks.
I really, really, really....really wanted to go see it again and had decided it was something I wanted my children to see, too. More mulling, weighing options....
Aaron and I had always talked about getting season tickets when we got old....haha! When we would find ourselves at these kind of events, we would always see older couples and say....
"Some day...some day, in the future when we are old, we will be able to get
season tickets and come enjoy all these shows".
So...I finally decided "To Hell with it! We aren't getting any younger!"
We have no idea what the future holds.
I am going to take this opportunity and run with it :)
And I did.
We bought 3 season tickets for the 2013-2014 Broadway in Boise!
I even talked the guy into getting our tickets for WICKED up 3 rows closer and more in the center than our tickets to the other shows (he told me they don't usually do that...)
Well, dude....this gal's on a mission :)
The rest is history...the kids have taken turns coming with me and we have had the time of our lives! Music reaches me like nothing else in this life! The voices that come out of those people are unbelievable...sometimes I get all choked up and can't help but cry. I always feel so happy and uplifted when I leave those shows (except for Chicago...I left that show fast before anyone I knew saw me, my kids didn't go to that one,...haha!) Seeing Sally Struthers as Dolly was a chance of a lifetime...she was phenomenal. The lead in Memphis had a voice like nobody else I have ever heard....I'm serious. The Adams Family....eh, wasn't our favorite but still fun. The time and moments spent there with my children have been worth every penny to me.
Well....last night was the night.
We went and experienced WICKED.....
A bit blurry....checking out the pit :) They always like to go down and look in it.
I think they imagine themselves down there :)
Grandma gave Emily a pair of Theatre Glasses for Christmas. I covet them. She looks so darn cute sitting there watching the show! In fact, I borrowed them to get a closer look at Sally Struthers and messed up where she had them set just perfect for her...yikes! She was so upset...lol! She won't let anybody else touch them now.
She's told me "Just think about the shows these glasses will see in my lifetime"
Waiting for the show to start with butterflies in my tummy :)
And then the moment was finally here......
It was everything in which I had hoped!
The show was perfect.
I just love the message of WICKED...how she was so misunderstood and such a lovely person, really.
How sometimes, most times, people aren't who they are made out to be and you never know what battles people are fighting. And, in the end...it is our relationships and those we know and how we influence others that matter the most.
Here's to WICKED and all the shows...
Because we knew you, we have been changed for good :)

4 comments:
I did the same thing years back with the Pacific NW Ballet up here. I bought 2 season tickets and took different friends, the occasional boy and once or twice Dennis. I loved the ballet. I did it for about 3 years, then they changed artistic directors for the PNB and I stopped. Sometimes season tickets are the right thing to do. We occasionally see musicals up (Mama Mia, Lion King, Memphis, Shrek just to name a few) here but I have never seen Wicked. What a great experience you are giving your kids!
Jason and I are going to see it on Thursday, I also love the Theater. There is just somethings about it. I feel sorry for people who say they don't like it. I think they are crazy! I am so jealous of your season tickets. Good for you!
I've never seen Wicked. I do love theater too, and dance.. and music. Too many things I like that I've been away from too long! Good for you. Get those tickets and make the memories now. Your kids are going to have such great memories of this.
Love Emily's comments about what the glasses will see.
So glad you have been seeing some of what you love!
Desiree....that is awesome that you guys are coming to see it! SO EXCITING! You need to come get my parking pass and use it..you will get in and out faster...I'm serious. Shoot me an e-mail....avaden@q.com
Post a Comment