August 24, 2008

Final Fling

We went for a final summer fling to Utah. We started out by spending a few days at the cabin.

Carter enjoyed his time outside sitting on Grandma and Grandpa's lap.
We took Alec and Emily down to the Weber River and they enjoyed playing around in the water.
This is Aaron's "Art Shot".....they are two baby birds under the bridge that goes over the river. We watched the mommy bird feed them while we were there...pretty neat :)
We went over to Park City and Aaron enjoyed moutain biking in the beautiful mountains while the rest of us did some serious shopping.


Went to our most favorite place in the whole wide world to get shakes: GRANNY'S in Heber, UT.
Aaron: Brownie
Amy: Brownie/Blackberry (couldn't decide on chocolate OR fruity... so I went with both)
Emily: Strawberry
Alec: Gummy Bear
The highlight for me was this guy....this time I shot a picture of a REAL moose (reference to prior post). I'm seriously standing right outside the front door of the cabin. He turned his head and looked at me as if to say "Go ahead and take it.....get it over with".
After our cabin fun was had, Aaron left to come back to Boise.... my children and I went to spend the rest of the week down home. This is my "Art Shot". We stopped at my Dad's land in Heber where he grazes his cattle in the summer on our way home. We used to go and camp while he would irrigate...we called it COW CAMP. Some good memories there.....I haven't been there for years, so it was nice to go and take a look. I've always thought Heber Valley was so pretty!
We spent the rest of the week harvesting (my children had fun "ch-unking" the corn) and creaming corn (Peggy's recipe....so delicious), shopping (Gardner Village and IKEA were my favorites!) sitting on the porch, going on walks in the fresh morning air, eating fresh veggies from the garden, feeding the cats with Becky, watching the Olympics, playing Jess's Wii, getting a GOOD hair cut, and just hanging out! The last night, we celebrated with a hot dog roast and movie night! It always makes me sad when I think about how long it will be before I can come back and pretend I have no responsibilities!!!


BUT, our home is in Boise and so back to Boise we go! This was Carter's first time on a plane. He fell asleep minutes after this picture was taken and slept the whole flight home......good baby! He woke up when we landed and wasn't sure what was going on.....poor baby!

So.....summer has found it's end. My children start school tomorrow. Emily starts kindergarten and Alec will be in the second grade. I have to admit, I always feel a little tug in my heart as I watch them go and realize they will share their day with someone besides me. It also means they've gotten a year older and I wonder where time is going???

5 comments:

Amy Wallace said...

Looks like a great end of summer trip. Didn't know your parents had a cabin. What an awesome thing for you and your family.Is it in Heber Valley. When the kids go off to school, I have differing emotion, betweem yipee and crying.

Kristine said...

Oh I feel your pain! I loved this post as it makes me homesick for the farm life. I especially loved the pic of your kids in the corn patch. We are doing corn next weekend at my dads--you can't beat farm fresh procuce can you? I am glad someone else shares my passion for Granny B's shakes!! THE BEST!

crazy lady said...

What a GREAT post! Fantastic photos, great food mentioned (I'm salivating just thinking about fresh corn and milkshakes) and wonderful activities. It all sounds delightful as I wallow in paperwork...wah, wah- poor, poor pitiful me.
Your art shots are all very lovely.

Lost Woman said...

My you have had a busy end of summer!
I don't know the moose history, but that is a mighty fine shot of a young bull.
Also enjoyed the baby birds.
Oh yeah..... the kids are cute too. (:

The Ball Babies said...

Oh, I love the Heber/Midway area so much! So quaint and beautiful. We were there last weekend and I wished we could have stayed longer because I DID NOT GET MY FILL of SHOPPING! Did you go the the factory outlet? Love that place! As for IKEA, I start getting cold sweats and slight anxiety whenever I step foot in that store. Too overwhelming for me, and besides, they have employees that star at you when you're there with lots of little children...
Glad you're back and sorry to say, responsibilities resume! :( I feel your pain...