

CONFESSION: The motivation behind me taking my children here was my wanting to meet BARBARA MORGAN! If you're not from Idaho you probably wouldn't know who she is. I think she is awesome for two reasons:
#1. She is a teacher.
#2. She is a teacher who strapped herself to who knows how much fuel and let them launch her into space for a couple weeks.....She is a teacher turned astronaut!!!
SO, we sat through a lecture (kid friendly) about satellites and rockets because it was right next door to where she would be presenting for the last time that day. I did this so I could keep watch on the seats. When they started letting people in, I dashed down to the front and put my coat across three seats. A nice lady behind me saved our seats while I went and "rounded up" my children. Alec actually protested when I made him leave the lecture....he had a question about satellites he was going to ask ??? ARE YOU KIDDING ME? I told him he could ask Barbara Morgan. Who is Barbara Morgan? The astronaut I've been telling you and Emily about ALL day and why we've been hanging out here for the last 3 hours!
I was so excited when she walked into the room. Like meeting a rock star! The pictures are crappy :( The lighting was bad. They had turned the lights down for her presentation. She shook hands and chatted with people who were in the first couple rows before she started her presentation. She came right up to us!!!


Our conversation:
BM: Hello (as she reaches out her hand for me to shake it!)
Amy: Hello, it is so nice to meet you. (Playing it cool )
BM: Thank you.
BM: What has been your favorite part of the day?
Alec: When I rode the hovercraft.
BM: Yeah. That looked like fun (Are you kidding me? You've rode a rocket into space!!!!!!)
BM: Hello. You have pretty eyes.
Emily: Thanks. Did you really go into outer space?
BM: I really did.
Her presentation was geared toward the kids and was so neat! She took them from lift off to landing. The pictures she showed from space were unbelievable. Even though my children don't realize the gravity (pun intended) of who spoke to them.... maybe some day they will.
SO COOL! Well....I think so, anyway :)

3 comments:
That is SOOO cool!! What an amazing day for you and the kids!
I'm so impressed with your covert photo taking.
First the dino show and now the astronaut. Slick.
Wow! That is Soo much cooler than meeting some silly famous person like Oh I don't...Brittney Spears
:0) I would have loved to be there. Sounds like it was good times.
I love Barbara Morgan! I've seen her twice around Boise in the past two weeks, once at Fred Meyer, and yesterday at Roosevelt El. when we were there for Payton's bball game. What a nice person and tiny to boot! So sad that people who aren't from Idaho don't know her!
Post a Comment